Discover Central & Eastern Europe
Combine iconic cities with destinations off the tourist trail on this 16-day tour which satiates travellers looking for fascinating cultural history, archaeological marvels, and little-known gems. Sample some of Vienna’s finest eats with a culinary expert, go deep underground into a salt museum previously used as a bomb shelter, and relax along Lake Snagov, where Romanians go on holiday. Trusted local chefs, historians, and cultural experts help enrich this experience in a way that no audio tour or guidebook could ever achieve.
National Geographic Journeys Exclusives: Walk the Berlin Wall with a Historian, Berlin
National Geographic Journeys Exclusives: Naschmarkt Walk, Vienna
National Geographic Journeys Exclusives: Transylvanian Foodie Experience, Sighișoara
National Geographic Journeys Exclusives: High Tea at Bran Castle, Bran. Tour Prague’s old town including the Jewish quarter, clock tower, Charles Bridge, and Wenceslas Square. Visit the historic Hotel Sacher and sample the Sacher Torte. Guided historic tour of Budapest. Visit to the Salt Mine terraces in Egerszalok. Guided visit of Salina Turda Salt Mine. Sighisoara old Town Visit. Black Church visit in Brasov. Guided tour of Bran Castle. Snagov Monastery visit. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
Explore Prague’s Old Town and the charming medieval gem of Český Krumlov, Visit the Berlin Wall with a local historian, Take a dip in soothing waters at a thermal bathhouse in Budapest, Prepare a traditional Transylvanian meal with a local chef.
Group Size Notes
Max 16, Avg 12.
15 breakfasts, 2 lunches
Train, bus, private van, local bus, walking.
Hotel/pensions (15 nts).
• Flight info (required) (Printouts of e-tickets may be required at the border)
• Insurance info (required) (With photocopies)
• Passport (required) (With photocopies)
• Required visas or vaccination certificates (required) (With photocopies)
• Vouchers and pre-departure information (required)
• Binoculars (optional)
• Camera (With extra memory cards and batteries)
• Cash, credit and debit cards
• Day pack (Used for daily excursions or short overnights)
• Ear plugs
• First-aid kit (should contain lip balm with sunscreen, sunscreen, whistle, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, bandaids/plasters, tape, anti-histamines, antibacterial gel/wipes, antiseptic cream, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, rehydration powder, water purification tablets or drops, insect repellent, sewing kit, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
• Flashlight/torch (Headlamps are ideal)
• Fleece top/sweater
• Locks for bags
• Long pants/jeans
• Outlet adapter
• Personal entertainment (Reading and writing materials, cards, music player, etc.)
• Reusable water bottle
• Small travel towel
• Toiletries (Preferably biodegradable)
• Watch and alarm clock
• Waterproof backpack cover
• Windproof rain jacket
- East Side Gallery Visit Along Berlin Wall (Free)
- Berlin Wall Memorial (Free)
- Checkpoint Charlie Museum Visit (13EUR per person)
- Brandenburg Gate Visit (Free)
- Judisches Museum Visit (8EUR per person)
- Reichstag Visit
- Television Tower (Fernsehturm) Visit (13-23EUR per person)
- Letná Beer Garden Visit (Free-3EUR per person)
- Malá Strana Visit
- Prague Castle (Hradčany) Visit (250-350CZK per person)
- Petřín Hill Hike (Free-30CZK per person)
- Guided Ghost Story Walk (250CZK per person)
- State Castle and Chateau Český Krumlov Tour (360CZK per person)
- Vienna Boys’ Choir Visit (35EUR per person)
- Vienna State Opera House Visit (8EUR per person)
- Belvedere Gallery Visit (19EUR per person)
- Schönbrunn Palace Visit/Tour (11-15EUR per person)
- View Lipizzaner Horses at Spanish Riding School of Vienna (14EUR per person)
- Saint Stephen’s Cathedral Visit (Free)
- Sound of Music Tour – Full Day Trip (120-180EUR per person)
- Thermal Baths Visit (4200-5000HUF per person)
- Buda Castle Visit (1500HUF per person)
- Budapest Bike Tour (28EUR per person)
- Parliament Building Visit (5200HUF per person)
- Great Market Hall Visit (Free)
- Chain Bridge (Free)
- Hungarian State Opera House (2900HUF per person)
- Danube River Cruise
- Brasov History Museum (7RON per person)
- Museum of the Romanian Peasant
- Palace of the Parliament Visit
- National Village Museum Visit
- Bucharest Bike Tour (20RON per person)
- Museum of Medieval Weapons
- Clock Tower Visit (Free)
- The Church of the Dominican Monastery Visit (Free)
You must be 18 to travel unaccompanied on a G Adventures tour. For minors travelling with a guardian over 21 years old, the minimum age is 12.
Check-in times and baggage allowances/restrictions vary by airline and can change at any time. For the most up-to-date information for your flight, please contact your airline. We recommend checking in online in advance to avoid potential delays at the airport.
PRODUCT_LINE: EDMNG, ID: 25031
Day 1 Berlin
Please make your own way to the joining hotel.
We recommend arriving a day or two early to fully explore this world-renowned city.
Check-in time at hotel is approximately 3:00pm.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Berlin (1B)
Berlin is an amazing city with tangible historical importance and is a melting pot of different cultures and flavours.
Walk the Berlin Wall with a Historian
Day 3 Berlin/Prague (1B)
A great way to spend the evening is watching the sunset from the heights of the Letna Beer Garden, where you can sample Czech beer, world-famous for its superb quality and low cost.
Prague Guided City Tour
Day 4 Prague (1B)
Charles Bridge by day is packed with vendors and street musicians. At night, it is less crowded, and it’s much easier to appreciate the scenery as well as the ever-so-slightly sinister quality of the statues looming overhead. Cross the bridge and you’ll find yourself in Mala Strana, a far less crowded district that offers the perfect atmosphere for some introspective wandering.
If you’re in the area and want to experience traditional Czech pubs which are guaranteed to be loud, lively, and packed with locals on any night of the week, this is the place for it. You’ll find restaurants serving traditional Czech cuisine like fried pork cutlets, goulash, and dumplings.
Day 5 Prague/Český Krumlov (1B)
The inclusion of Ceský Krumlov on UNESCO’s List of Natural and Cultural Heritage was undoubtedly a turning point in the modern history of the town. It sent a clear signal to the rest of the cultural world that South Bohemia has something unique to offer.
Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s))
Day 6 Český Krumlov/Vienna (1B)
Drive across the border into Austria, where we take an orientation walk with the CEO. Visit the historic Hotel Sacher and taste the world-famous Sacher Torte. Enjoy free time this evening to visit the opera house or simply enjoy a walk around the city.
Hotel Sacher Visit and dessert
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s))
Day 7 Vienna (1B)
This morning, visit the famed Naschmarkt with a culinary expert, exploring the stalls and lanes to sample some of Vienna’s finest treats. This afternoon is free to wander the elegant streets. Take in some of Europe’s most distinguished art galleries, visit the stunning Lipizzaner horses of the renowned Vienna Riding School, experience mass with the Vienna Boys Choir, or settle into a café and order a slice of mouthwatering Viennese cake.
Day 8 Vienna/Budapest (1B)
You might like to have an optional dinner at a local restaurant on Váci Utca, which is the bustling main street of Budapest.
Train (4.00 hour(s))
Day 9 Budapest (1B)
Today, new travellers may join you for the rest of your adventure. You are welcome to join them at a group meeting this evening, followed by an optional dinner.
Day 10 Budapest (1B, 1L)
Explore Budapest by embarking on a guided historic tour of the city. Start at Heroes Square and hop on the metro to learn the history of Europe’s second oldest underground transportation system. Discover the Opera House, Liberty Square and Chain Bridge, ending at the Great Market Hall with a typical Hungarian lunch. The afternoon is free to explore.
Budapest City Tour
Day 11 Budapest/Cluj-Napoca (1B)
Embark on a full-day transfer from Budapest to Cluj-Napoca. Along the way, stop in Egerszalók to visit the Salt Hill terraces. These rare salt springs and water terraces are a great place to stretch our legs or enjoy a picnic.
Salt Hill Terraces
Private Vehicle (1.80 hour(s), 130km)
Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 365km)
Day 12 Cluj-Napoca/Sighișoara (1B)
Visit Salina Turda Salt Mine, the world’s deepest underground salt museum and marvel at 2,000 years of history and highly preserved galleries. Learn about all the purposes of the mine over the years, from being used as a World War II bomb shelter to becoming a warehouse for storing cheese. From here, head to Sighișoara and enjoy an orientation walk of the old town on arrival.
Salina Turda Salt Mine Visit
Sighișoara Old Town Visit
Private Vehicle (0.75 hour(s), 35km)
Private Vehicle (2.00 hour(s), 120km)
Day 13 Sighișoara/Braşov (1B, 1L)
Transfer to the small medieval village of Medias. Together with a local chef, visit the market to pick out fresh ingredients for your Transylvanian cooking class and learn about the cultural and gastronomical influences found in Transylvanian cuisine. In the afternoon, head to the town of Brasov to visit the famous Black Church.
Transylvanian Foodie Experience
Black Church (Biserica Neagră) Visit
Private Vehicle (1.60 hour(s), 115km)
Day 14 Braşov (1B)
Enjoy a free morning to explore Brasov’s baroque architecture and beautiful squares. Later, visit the haunting Bran Castle, also known as Dracula’s castle, for a guided visit. Afterwards, head to the castle’s tea house for an afternoon tea accompanied by the on-site historian and learn about the castle’s eerie past and connection with Dracula.
Bran Castle Visit
High Tea at Bran Castle
Day 15 Braşov/Bucharest (1B)
Travel back to Bucharest, stopping to visit Snagov Monastery and its intricately painted walls. Dating back to the 14th century, the monastery is believed to hold the remains of Vlad the Impaler. Once in Bucharest, enjoy an orientation walk. Opt for a final night out on the town.
Private Vehicle (2.75 hour(s))
Day 16 Bucharest (1B)
Depart at any time.